Friday, January 29, 2010

URBAN PROMISE ACADEMY

In the Fall of 2000, I moved to the Bay Area were I completed my Bachelors degree in Fine Arts at the California College of the Arts, and the teachers credentialing program for single subject art at Mills College. For the last ten years, I have taught in schools and community centers across the Bay Area and on the island of Guam, where the Guam Legislature in 2005 awarded me a Resolution for my contribution to students’ lives. I am currently continuing at Mills College for a Masters Degree in Education.

One of the schools I teach at is a Jr. High called URBAN PROMISE ACADEMY, or UPA for short. They recently had an opportunity to be featured on the TODAY SHOW (clique the title of this blog post to check it out)! I run a class called BEATS AND RHYMES through the after school program called OAKLAND LEAF. My students view themselves as the future of this movement called Hip-Hop. I can sincerely say that they make some of the most slapping music that I have heard come out of these bay area schools. I will be posting their first album and their latest album that is currently in the works at some point later this year. Stay tuned in. For now, enjoy this live performance of them rocking their winter assembly!

beats & rhymes

!GUY! | MySpace Video

No comments:

Post a Comment